Friday, November 30, 2012

Rotterdam

Hello, I am back from my honeymoon last week. Well, I wouldn't describe it as a 'honeymoon' as it was not romantic at all. So it was more likely 'adventurous' backpacking trip to Europe. Why it was adventurous? Well, there's a long story to it but a great experience too. Sort of exploring the world out there and get to learn the different cultures. We realized how good is our Malaysia. For example, at least there are MANY public toilets around which really convenience us a lot and received a lot of FREE stuff in Malaysia. In Europe, we had to pay for almost everything. Is it because of the European crisis? I wondered.

It was my first time flying so far far away and I was so excited about it. But gotta to bear with the 12 hours long flight. Ugh! I hate the most! First time stepped on the land of western countries is making one of my dream came true. A big thanks to my parents-in-law for giving us such a great wedding gift.


Okay. Due to budget and time constraints, we only managed to visit to 4 countries; Netherlands - Rotterdam and Amsterdam, Belgium - Bruges and Brussels, Paris and London in 12 days. Our first stop was in Rotterdam, Netherlands. 

When I stepped out of the arrival hall in Schiphol Airport, I was amused to be surrounded by all the 'ang mohs' and they spoke in Dutch. I need to pinch myself to see whether am I dreaming. But not. Frankly, I was scared and worry too despite the excitement as we couldn't speak or understand the Dutch or whatever language they speak. We were facing some communication barrier as the Dutch either did not learn English or they purposely did not want to speak in English. Why they hate English so much? Just like those French. Hmmm. 

We were losing our direction as the travel information counter girl was not helping at all and quite rude. We could only depend on ourselves by looking at the map. In between we did met some nice citizens who can speak little English and helped us. We boarded their intercity train to Rotterdam (11 euro per person). Actually we could cheat as there was no one checking on the ticket but we did not dare to do so. After all, we were a good tourists and did not want to put shame on Asian. 




Once arrived in Rotterdam, it was still morning. We could only check in at 3pm. We were quite exhausted and sleepy from the long hours flight. My eyes were like a 'goldfish' the whole day. We walked around the town and took some photos while waiting for the clock striking 3pm. After check in and showered, both of us completely knocked out and by the time we woke up, it was already morning on the next day.


Is a must try item in Netherlands, their FEBO and famous french fries with mayonnaise. We were not really keen on french fries but surprisingly, their french fries taste good! Remember to try when you are there.

2 comments:

nothingmuchdave said...

nice!!! so hows the trip??? how much it cost both of you???

-celestial- said...

Yeah. It was a great experience and pretty interesting trip. I thought I was dreaming when I was in certain places because those places, I only seen in TV but now I was here. Just felt unbelievable and .... well, overall quite enjoyable trip. Lolz.

Estimated RM10,000 per person included the flight ticket and hotel.